Wednesday 1 March 2017

How to become Swiss


Are you an expat living in Switzerland? 

Would you like to become a Swiss citizen and vote on all the funny proposals the locals come up with?

All you need is patience, hard studying, and some money.

...unless you have a lot of money, then you can probably negotiate an easier way, just as you can negotiate your taxes. No joke.


I don’t have a lot of money, I’m a humble Finnish pharmacist so I had to do the following:

Submit an application


1. Fill in an application form and a hand-written summary of my life

2. Take a German test that lasted one day and cost 290 CHF

3. Prove that I had lived in Switzerland for more than 12 years and in the same Canton for more than five years

4. Obtain and pay for certificates from the places I’d lived in (20 CHF for Rheinfelden, Aargau and 60 CHF for Bassersdorf, Zürich)

5. Order a birth certificate from Finland à 40 Euros.


In the application form, one has to add two Swiss persons who are willing to recommend you to become Swiss. 

I chose two of my neighbours, and having lived in Switzerland long enough I chose males; one successful banker and one internationally known and highly respected physician.

I was charged 100 CHF for the processing of the application.

My (non-existent) criminal record was checked and I soon got an appointment for an interview. 

In the mail, I received several pages summarizing Swiss history, geography, and politics. 

The cover-letter said I should study the document prior to the interview.




I learned the names of Swiss top politicians by heart and followed the local news more than before, hoping to be able to say something clever in the interview that would make me seem very integrated.


First interview


Arriving spot-on time at the interview in Arlesheim a friendly lady welcomed me.

The beginning of the interview went well; I remembered the names of the politicians and managed to explain the political system.

But then I had trouble explaining in a few words what democracy is. It was embarrassing. 






The friendly lady comforted me, she said it was hard for me because I grew up in a democracy. 

I answered, «yes, exactly, because I cannot imagine anything else than a democracy!». 

Here was my chance to turn my embarrassment into victory so I went «And the Swiss democracy is unique - a true democracy because people vote directly on actual issues». 

The friendly lady smiled at me and I relaxed.


Many questions were related to my everyday life and the local environment: 

«Name a river close to where you live» 
«Where do you shop for groceries?» (Germany is the wrong answer).

She asked me about my hobbies and wanted to know if I was part of a local club or group. Here I thought I hit trouble again because I tend to do my hobbies on my own. 

Luckily I could boast about all clubs my daughter was a member of and I mentioned all the cakes I had baked for various LOCAL events to collect money for LOCAL clubs.

An hour later we said goodbye and I left feeling relieved.

Afterward I received an invoice of 1'040 CHF.


Being checked out


The very next day my neighbour, the successful Swiss banker’s wife, waved at me from her garden and told me she had just had a phone call from the lady who had interviewed me. 

She said she had described me as a friendly, reliable, and hard-working person. 

As I walked inside, my mobile phone beeped. 

It was an SMS from the wife of the internationally known and highly respected physician, who also had received a phone call. 

She wrote me that she had said I am perfectly integrated, a respected neighbour, an intelligent woman, and a wonderful mother.

My daughter's teacher also received a phone call, but he never mentioned it to me.


Second interview


Now all was cleared from the higher levels, and the final and most important interview was scheduled.

This was by the Gemeinde, the local community, and they would have the last say.

The interview fee to be paid up-front was 1’000 CHF.

Arriving on time. Sitting in the waiting room. Going over the names of top Swiss politicians once more. 

Getting nervous. The door opens and there is a long desk with four people on the other side. They all greet friendly and smile but I’m nervous.

The Leader of the four goes through the procedure and asks if it’s OK for them to start with the questions. I nod, hoping to look confident. 

The first 15 minutes go smoothly: «How do you like it here?», «Why do you want to become Swiss?» and so on. 

Then I get the question I thought I was fully prepared for: «Name all half-cantons of Switzerland».

I freeze. I mumbled something about Basel and Unterwalden and had to give up. 

The four let me off the hook, but they scribbled notes and exchanged looks.

My 10-year old daughter saved the situation. 

When asked about citizen’s obligations I answered: «follow the law» and «pay your taxes» and my daughter chipped in with «go to school» in perfect Swiss-German. 

Then she was asked if the Basel Zoo was in Basel Stadt or in Baselland. A tricky question and she answered correctly. 
Do you know the answer?

A few months later I received a formal confirmation that I had been proven good enough to be Swiss.



Swiss passport


Last step: Make an appointment in Liestal to get the passport.

Pictures and fingerprints were taken. The fee was 158 CHF for the passport and an identity card. They arrived two days later in the post.

Being Swiss


Why I enjoy being a Swiss citizen? 

Now I truly belong here, I’m not only visiting. Now I dare be myself and I can’t be kicked out. 

Best of all: I can vote! 


Here’s a list of some odd Swiss votes from the past:

1. The Swiss people voted AGAINST 6 weeks of holiday for everybody

2. The Swiss people voted AGAINST a minimum wage of 22 CHF per hour

3. The Swiss people almost voted away their WHOLE ARMY

4. The Swiss people voted AGAINST a car-free Sunday four times per year

5. The Swiss people BANNED the building of minarets

6. The Swiss people voted AGAINST prolonged maternity leave

7. The Swiss people voted AGAINST a basic income for all

I can’t wait for the next voting opportunity...




To celebrate my new nationality I will cook Swiss Mac and Cheese (locally known as Älplermagronen).

Or perhaps I should make a famous dish called Zürcher Geschnetzeltes with Spätzli...

Or perhaps I should organize a big Swiss dinner party.

No comments:

Post a Comment