Friday 10 April 2015

Dear Hotel Owner / Manager

This is a plea to all hotel owners and/or managers.

Free and unlimited WiFi should be a human right for any hotel guest. It must work seamlessly in the room and all hotel areas (the lobby, the restaurant / breakfast room, swimming pool etc). And it should be on for at least 12 hrs after check-out. 

From now on I will boycott hotels without free WiFi. Even if the hotel offers daily foot massage by men looking like the young Axl Rose, I'm not going if there is no free WiFi.

But much more critical to a guest's well-being is that the hotel staff treats each other with respect and politeness.

Especially superiors should behave friendly towards their subordinates. Bossy manners and any abuse of "power" puts me off, makes me lose my appetite and spoils my holiday feeling.

I was recently in Dubai with my daughter and we had a lovely time there.

We experienced a major sandstorm, and made sand angels on the beach 



(instead of snow-angels; -a Finnish custom called lumienkeli).

Luckily we spent the sandy day at the mall - but still four days later I can feel the sand between my teeth and toes.



We stayed at the Mövenpick Hotel Jumeirah Beach. They didn't have the perfect WiFi, nor free foot massage to make up for it but the staff was friendly and helpful not only to me and my daughter, but also towards my friends who stayed in an other hotel, and as they marched in at 05:00 with luggage and two tired (but sweet) kids they received a friendly welcome and were allowed to store their luggage in a safe place and spend time in the cozy lobby.

Best of all: The hotel staff were all friendly towards each other, more so than what I've experienced before (with the exception of all Fiji hotels I've visited, but that's a different story and a different world altogether). 

This among-the-staff-friendliness made me feel good. I suggest other hotels try to achieve the same. But make it real, your customers will notice the difference and they will detect any fake attempts.

No comments:

Post a Comment